[MPlayer-users] MPlayer is rendering some ass subtitles with wrong styling

Diogo Franco diogomfranco at gmail.com
Fri May 16 19:20:17 CEST 2008

Em Qui, 2008-05-15 às 15:57 -0300, Diogo Franco escreveu:
> I have some useful files, like the main fonts used, the scripts and the
> mentioned screenshots to send but I don't know where to send them.
> My mailer is failing to attach those files, so I'm waiting for some info.
>
> I'm reporting problem with two files in this mail.
>
> Both are extracted from anime releases by Menclave (www.mymenclave.org).
>
> The first one is with Gundam 00 - 01.ass. The color of the subtitles is
> different from VSFilter, where subtitles usually get the brown color.
> That can be seen on the hardsubbed release. On mplayer, they always get
> the blue color, not only when the subtitles are displaced. Than can be
> seen on shot0003.png (mplayer) and shot0004.png (hardsub with VSFilter).
>
> Looking at the script, it looks like libass uses only the last style
> defined as if it overrides the previous definition; but it appears that
> VSFilter uses the first definition as the 'default' one and the second
> one as the 'displaced' one. May be a bug, but I think libass should
> unfortunately reproduce it in order to keep compatibility.
>
> The second one is with Macross F. The subtitle size and styling is all
> wrong with this one. On the screenshots, I have shot0001.png showing
> mplayer's output, and shot0002.png showing the hardsub release that is
> subbed using VirtualDubMod with the same sources as the softsub one. The
> subtitles are also rendered just fine with VSFilter, but I'm not on
> Windows so I can't take the screenshots.
>
> >From what I can see in those two Macross screenshots, the problem seems
> that libass only renders the subtitle border too thin and doesn't render
> the shadow. Also, VSFilter appears to render the subtitles using
> PlayRes{X,Y} and then scales them down, or does some other kind of
> scaling that looks nice. I just don't understand why on mplayer the
> subtitles aren't just big, they're big and stretched horizontally. Note:
> csri with libasa renders the subtitle more correctly, see shot0005.png.

The file names and descriptions on
(ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming):

Gundam 00 - 01.ass     - Gundam 00 script
Macross F - 01.ass     - Macross F script
shot0001.png           - Macross F - mplayer
shot0002.png           - Macross F - VSFilter
shot0003.png           - Gundam 00 - mplayer
shot0004.png           - Gundam 00 - VSFilter
shot0005.png           - Macross F - csri/libasa

Syntax LT.otf          - Gundam 00 font
Syntax LT Italic.otf   - Gundam 00 font

Bell Gothic Black.TTF  - Macross F font
Bell Gothic Bold.TTF   - Macross F font