[MPlayer-users] MPlayer is rendering some ass subtitles with wrong styling

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Mon May 19 20:51:15 CEST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 21:20:17 Diogo Franco wrote:
> Em Qui, 2008-05-15 às 15:57 -0300, Diogo Franco escreveu:
> > I have some useful files, like the main fonts used, the scripts and the
> > mentioned screenshots to send but I don't know where to send them.
> > My mailer is failing to attach those files, so I'm waiting for some info.
> >
> > I'm reporting problem with two files in this mail.
> >
> > Both are extracted from anime releases by Menclave (www.mymenclave.org).
> >
> > The first one is with Gundam 00 - 01.ass. The color of the subtitles is
> > different from VSFilter, where subtitles usually get the brown color.
> > That can be seen on the hardsubbed release. On mplayer, they always get
> > the blue color, not only when the subtitles are displaced. Than can be
> > seen on shot0003.png (mplayer) and shot0004.png (hardsub with VSFilter).
> >
> > Looking at the script, it looks like libass uses only the last style
> > defined as if it overrides the previous definition; but it appears that
> > VSFilter uses the first definition as the 'default' one and the second
> > one as the 'displaced' one. May be a bug, but I think libass should
> > unfortunately reproduce it in order to keep compatibility.

It's the other way around. The first style is blue, the second is brown. No
problem with me, now the last style is always used.

> > The second one is with Macross F. The subtitle size and styling is all
> > wrong with this one. On the screenshots, I have shot0001.png showing
> > mplayer's output, and shot0002.png showing the hardsub release that is
> > subbed using VirtualDubMod with the same sources as the softsub one. The
> > subtitles are also rendered just fine with VSFilter, but I'm not on
> > Windows so I can't take the screenshots.
> >
> > >From what I can see in those two Macross screenshots, the problem seems
> >
> > that libass only renders the subtitle border too thin and doesn't render
> > the shadow. Also, VSFilter appears to render the subtitles using
> > PlayRes{X,Y} and then scales them down, or does some other kind of
> > scaling that looks nice. I just don't understand why on mplayer the
> > subtitles aren't just big, they're big and stretched horizontally. Note:
> > csri with libasa renders the subtitle more correctly, see shot0005.png.

Border and shadow are fine, they are just not scaled with the font. The
problem is with PlayResX/PlayResY in the subtitle script, they are mixed up.
That's why libass scales the font by 1280/720 ratio and also stretches it
horizontally to preserve aspect. VSFilter and Asa do it a little differently
(they scale with PlayResX, libass scales with PlayResY). On the other hand,
if I recall correctly, MPC version of Vobsub behaves like libass in this
case. So, I blame the script.