[MPlayer-users] HTTP audio playback problem

Mike Mueller mike at subfocal.net
Thu Nov 6 20:46:49 CET 2008

I'm having a problem with MP3 audio being played back at the wrong
speed.  I'm using the -audiofile option to specify an HTTP MP3 stream,
like so:

mplayer -audiofile http://scfire-dtc-aa05.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1018 \
    somevideo.avi

It will randomly misidentify the sample rate of the audio stream
(44.1kHz).  Sometimes it's too fast (48kHz), sometimes too slow (32kHz,
24kHz, 8kHz).  Sometimes it's just right.  It's fairly reproducible
using a little bash script to start mplayer up and kill it every 10
seconds.  The audio is only played correctly maybe 30% of the time.

It does NOT happen using an actual mp3 file off disk, it has to be a
stream.  (My example above is a link to SomaFM's Groove Salad station,
but it also happens with all of my local Icecast streams.)

If it matters, the video I'm playing back is an MPEG4 video, recorded
from an RTSP stream.  The problem also occurs if I point to a live RTSP
stream for the video portion.

This is using Fedora 9's version of mplayer:

$ mplayer -v
MPlayer dev-SVN-r26936-4.3.0 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7700  @ 2.40GHz (Family: 6, Model:
15, Stepping: 11)
CPUFlags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

--