[MPlayer-users] Translating movie files to a portable movie device (ffamv I think)]

David Creelman creelman.david at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 09:09:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 02:40:52PM +0100, Stroller wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2008, at 23:21, David Creelman wrote:

`<snip>

>> Can someone point out where I could look to find out how to get this
>> to work?
>>
>> I'm using mplayer/encoder built from svn, running on Debian.
>
> Hi there,
>
> I haven't read your output because there's too much of it.

Yes, in retrospect that was a bit silly of me.

> You should use this command:
>    mplayer -really-quiet -ao null -vo null -frames 0 -identify
> movie1.amv

Okay, thanks. That gives me back something useful.

Would it be asking too much for help in sorting out how to turn this into
a set of parameters for mencoder to produce files playable on this device?

D_VIDEO_ID=0
[avi @ 0x9c44c90]scale/rate is 0/0 which is invalid. (This file has been generat
ed by broken software.)
[avi @ 0x9c44c90]scale/rate is 0/0 which is invalid. (This file has been generat
ed by broken software.)
ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_FILENAME=movie1.amv
ID_DEMUXER=lavf
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=AMVV
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=160
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=120
ID_VIDEO_FPS=16.000
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=AMVA
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=352800
ID_AUDIO_RATE=22050
ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
ID_LENGTH=304.05
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffamv
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=352800
ID_AUDIO_RATE=22050
ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffadpcmimaamv

> I don't think there's an automated way to tell mplayer to use the same
> format as an existing file - you just have to manually work out the
> parameters.

Okay, makes sense I guess.