[MPlayer-users] Mencoder/mplayer AVCHD problem - is this a bug or a bad file?

Jakub Kulesza jakkul at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 11:26:43 CEST 2008

Hi!

I'm using a Sony HDR-SR10 camera. It records 1080i/50 AVCHD videos. I
successfully use mencoder to recode the videos to mpeg4/mp3 and other
formats, the deinterlacing i've tried also works. Mplayer also plays
the videos. They tend to get choppy, but well, radeon with proprietary
ati drivers does not accelerate decoding.

I guess that the camera also does not write info on framerate into the
.mts files, but when i provide -fps 50000/1001 on the command line,
everything is ok both for mplayer and mencoder. (i'm a PAL not NTSC).

The problem that i have is that some files copied from the camera
generate mplayer and mencoder errors. Same files run ok on windows,
even using old ffmpeg codecs, or CCCP. I have also tried the SuperC
(http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html) for Windows, that is made of
mencoder/mplayer/ffmpeg, and it recodes the files properly.

I use gentoo, have tried the latest mplayer and ffmpeg from portage,
as well the latest SVN checkouts (2008-10-08). I have also tried
mencoder/mplayer for windows (1.0_rc2). The errors seem to be the
same: mencoder and mplayer during recoding or playback, complain about
the file being badly interlaved and  switch do -ni mode. I have tried
fidgeting with options with no luck. Strange thing is, that when i
play the file recoded to mpeg4/mp3, it still complains on badly
interlaved file. Recoding the file again does not help at all.

I want to stress, that this happens only on 10-20% of files longer
that 1 minute, and only with mplayer. On windows all files are ok. I
have tried compiling mplayer/mencoder with or without x264 libs - same
results.

Of course I have tried googling on the subject - with no reasonable results.

Is there someone who could double check my file? Where can I post an
example of such file (approx. 280MB)?

Is there a possibility, that those files are not recoded properly due
to mplayer bug? Please help me doublecheck that, if yes, than i'll
post a bug.

Regards

Jakub Kulesza