[MPlayer-users] Feature Request / A humble wish: Optimize libfaad2 / AAC+ decoder for MMX/i586

Urja Rannikko urjaman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 18:58:26 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this mail should go to devel or users, but i
think it could be classified as a feature request, so sending to
users.

I'm just using my old Pentium 233 MMX box to play some 24kbps AAC+
stream and it takes 69% of CPU to play that,
 compared to ~13-15% for 128kbps-320kbps MP3.
(libmp3 seems to have pretty good optimizations, just compare "ls
libfaad2" and "ls mp3lib" in the mplayer source tree?).

Even if AAC+ is a more advanced coding than MP3, it seems clear to me
that this could be optimized,
i'm just not a decoder expert and wish not to spend lots of time just
to get to know the codebase etc.

If someone wants to take on this, i could help by testing and maybe
some mmx coding?

--
urjaman