[MPlayer-users] no "vesa" in "mplayer -vo help" output

Piotr Gackowski piogac6088 at op.pl
Mon Oct 13 18:59:45 CEST 2008

Hi ,

I've just started an adventure with mplayer - so sorry for that question...
I want to use mplayer without X-server. ( X is not installed )
I installed mplayer using .deb package (Debian Etch from repository ).
I' d like to use "-vo vesa" option, but the output of "mplayer -vo help"
gives no such option.

That means that I also can't  start "mplayer -vo vesa film.avi".
("Error opening/initializing the selected video-out (-vo) device")

Is it due to the fact, that it has been pre-compiled (in .deb package)
without "vesa" option?
Shell I compile mplayer from the sources ?
Or is there any other reason of not having "vesa" option ?
If I have to compile mplayer from the sources - are there any specific
options to use ?

BTW. My video-card is VESA2.0 VBE ( intel810 ).

Many thanks in advance,

Peter