[MPlayer-users] no "vesa" in "mplayer -vo help" output

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Oct 13 22:23:17 CEST 2008

On Monday, 13 October 2008 at 18:59, Piotr Gackowski wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I've just started an adventure with mplayer - so sorry for that question...

Instead of apologizing from the beginning, you should just do things
properly. Now let's see the list of your sins:
- not using latest SVN? check!
- not posting mplayer -v output? check!
- thread hijacking? check!

> I want to use mplayer without X-server. ( X is not installed )
> I installed mplayer using .deb package (Debian Etch from repository ).
> I' d like to use "-vo vesa" option, but the output of "mplayer -vo help"
> gives no such option.
>
> That means that I also can't  start "mplayer -vo vesa film.avi".
> ("Error opening/initializing the selected video-out (-vo) device")
>
> Is it due to the fact, that it has been pre-compiled (in .deb package)
> without "vesa" option?

Probably. I haven't looked at the source deb.

> Shell I compile mplayer from the sources ?

That's one option.

> Or is there any other reason of not having "vesa" option ?

No.

> If I have to compile mplayer from the sources - are there any specific
> options to use ?

You need libvbe from vesautils, too: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/vesautils/

Regards,
R.