[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Tue Oct 14 19:14:40 CEST 2008

Hi Phil_Rhodes at rocketmail.com!

 On 2008.10.14 at 17:32:02 +0100, Phil_Rhodes at rocketmail.com wrote next:

> > You can use -vo x11
>
> On Windows?

Er.. You're using windows? Kind of missed that.. Hm.. Are any video
drivers except for directx usable on windows?

> > or -vo gl
>
> I'm pretty sure that results in a non-capturable overlay, too.

It doesn't, at least I never saw it happen.

> > As about font, if your mplayer is build with fontconfig,
>
> What's that? How do I tell?

On windows? Sorry, no idea.. if fontconfig even exists there, mplayer is
probably using it.. You can look for libfontconfig.dll file or something
like that in mplayer directory. Well if you have cygwin installed, you
can use ldd to check it..

Actually, I think you should just try that option; if it works, you have
fontconfig support - if not, you need to build mplayer with it, or, more
likely, download better build somewhere else.

> > (or write font=Arial in config)
>
> Which config where?

mplayer.conf in config directory.

> > fontconfig is required for ssa/ass support anyway.
>
> What does ssa/ass mean?

advanced subtitle formats, they're used to control font
style/coloring/postion/effects, karaoke and so on. Since such subtitles
often use many different fonts, good font chooser backend is required
for features to work. Font library called fontconfig is what mplayer
uses for that.

--

Vladimir