[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Oct 17 19:12:21 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:56:36 +0200
Krzysztof Duchnowski <amidk75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Attila Kinali pisze:
>
> >> But that it seems to user. At Ubuntu from 04.2008 it's ffmpeg CVS from
> >> 03.2007 so... almost as dead.
> >> In fact, developers of Ubuntu force Gstreamer as a main decoder.
>
> > And Gstreamer uses ffmpeg in the back, without telling you
> > (they link staticaly against ffmpeg like MPlayer does)
>

> No. It's special "gstreamer-ffmpeg" package from "unsupported" repo that
> user must install on it's own.

So, you are telling us that gstreamer has written a new codec
library for every codec out there in just a few years, while
developing a DShow drop in replacement? I highly doubt that.

ffmpeg is _the_codec_library_ every OSS player project uses it.
There is no way around it, unless you stick to MPEG1/2 only.

				Attila Kinali
--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.
If you want to walk far, walk together.