[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 22:57:47 CEST 2008

Attila Kinali pisze:

>>> And Gstreamer uses ffmpeg in the back, without telling you
>>> (they link staticaly against ffmpeg like MPlayer does)

>> No. It's special "gstreamer-ffmpeg" package from "unsupported" repo that
>> user must install on it's own.

> So, you are telling us that gstreamer has written a new codec
> library for every codec out there in just a few years, while
> developing a DShow drop in replacement? I highly doubt that.

> ffmpeg is _the_codec_library_ every OSS player project uses it.
> There is no way around it, unless you stick to MPEG1/2 only.

ditto - did you forgot XINE?
But in Ubuntu "gstreamer-ffmpeg" is additional package unsupported by
Canonical. And it's not installed by default. That's a fact. Whatever
gstreamer uses another set of codecs and it's internal or external is
not the point.

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/