[MPlayer-users] Splitting a large Ogg Vorbis file?

andrew andrew.david.45 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 11:40:22 CET 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:08:39AM +0100, Oliver Seitz wrote:
> Am 26.10.2008, 10:58 Uhr, schrieb andrew <andrew.david.45 at gmail.com>:

> > I took the last 15 minutes from a large Ogg Vorbis audio file using
> > ffmpeg as follows:
> >
> > $ ffmpeg -i ftgws.ogg -ss 01:38:06 -acodec vorbis -aq 60 ursula.ogg
> >
> > Is there an equivalent method using MPlayer?
>
> No, but using Mencoder.
>
> It has switches like -ss and -endpos
>
> Well, you could use MPlayer (with switches like -ss and -endpos) to play
> to an uncompressed pcm file or stream and re-encode that later or
> on-the-fly by anonymous or named pipe. Or use -dumpstream. Or -dumpaudio.
> I'm always happy to read the fine manual for you.

My thanks for your reading :-). I am used to playing to uncompressed
pcm, and eventually used the following:

$ mplayer ftgws.ogg -ss 01:38:06 -vc null -vo null \
  -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=ftgws.wav

and subsequently encoded with oggenc. I guess I was hoping for a
method that did not involve re-encoding as I have deleted the original
wav file. Anyway sound quality was fine with this method.

Oddly enough the file encoded with ffmpeg did not play on my iRiver
X20 which can be a little picky with its oggs.

Thanks for your trouble,

  Andrew

--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?