[MPlayer-users] Compiling for OS X results in garbled DVD sound

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 03:19:31 CEST 2008

Alex Sherwin wrote:

> Now I'm even more confused by your response.  I can't help if you get
> upset when someone is equally rude right back to you, but not
> everyone is a C/C++ expert with years of configure and make
> experience.

You don't need to be.

I'm a little confused myself; I don't see where what he said to you was
rude.

Also, failing to quote at all is not significantly better than
top-posting; it is in fact arguably worse. Please quote correctly, even
if you have to do it by hand. (I have had to do that, on occasion, and
I've done it. It's not as hard as you might expect.)

> I did read the output of ./configure -help. I did open up the
> configure script and read through it.
>
> There is an --enable-libdca option, which I have attempted to use.

 From what the things you say you read should have told you, you should
have become aware that this is a bad idea and is likely to cause
problems. If you --enable virtually any option in MPlayer (especially
any library), you will have to also add the various needed compilation
and/or linker flags by hand using '--extra-libs' and related options.

> From what I understand however, libdca is included in the mplayer
> source and as such it is found "internally" by configure to the
> project, such that when I install libdca manually (in /usr/local/lib,
> /usr/local/include) and include it with the options
> --with-extraincdir and --with-extralibdir that configure is still not
> using my third party copy of libdca.

I don't believe this is the case. There is certainly no copy of libdca
in my MPlayer SVN tree, and the only files I see there with "dca" in the
name are in libavcodec/ and in libmpcodecs/ - neither of which I believe
has anything to do with libdca directly.

To the best of my awareness, and the best of what I can tell based on
looking at the libdca autodetection in the configure script, either the
installed libdts will be used or libdts will not be used at all.

> So my question still stands, which is perfectly acceptable in this
> forum, is what lengths do I need to go to to get configure/make to
> utilize my third party libdca.

Almost certainly: none at all. Just don't specify any particular
configure options for that purpose. Where did you get the idea that you
needed to do anything special for that purpose in the first place?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.