[MPlayer-users] Compiling for OS X results in garbled DVD sound

Alex Sherwin alex.sherwin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 03:40:19 CEST 2008

>  From what the things you say you read should have told you, you should
> have become aware that this is a bad idea and is likely to cause
> problems. If you --enable virtually any option in MPlayer (especially
> any library), you will have to also add the various needed compilation
> and/or linker flags by hand using '--extra-libs' and related options.

The first responder of this post asked if I've installed libdca, since
an error associated with the audio output said this.  In an effort not
to have my hand held, I took this to obviously mean that since the
error reported libdca unavailable, and the first responder to my
thread asking if libdca installed, that it was quite obvious the
course of action was to install libdca and link it with the
--with-extra options:

# Requested audio codec family [dts] (afm=libdca) not available.
# Enable it at compilation.

> I don't believe this is the case. There is certainly no copy of libdca
> in my MPlayer SVN tree, and the only files I see there with "dca" in the
> name are in libavcodec/ and in libmpcodecs/ - neither of which I believe
> has anything to do with libdca directly.

The same person responded with the following information:

> No. MPlayer uses dca.* which are in the below directory;
> ../mplayer/libavcodec/

Which is true, ./libavcodec contains various dca related files such
as: dca_parser.c, dca.c and dca.h.

As such, I was thoroughly confused as to how I could get my third
party libdca to be used instead of this, which I now realize is
probably futile and the wrong approach... However, this is the
direction I was lead to believe initially, and as such the problem I
was trying to fix/pursue.

> Almost certainly: none at all. Just don't specify any particular
> configure options for that purpose. Where did you get the idea that you
> needed to do anything special for that purpose in the first place?

I've been playing with my configure options all last night and
tonight, and I've finally come up with a set that seems to work for
the trunk revision, which includes the --with-extra flags for various
optional libs (png, jpeg, xvid, x264 etc), specifying the
freetype-config and --disable-sse that produce a working mplayer
executable AND successfully plays the sound from DVDs

The problem is resolved, I apologize for any hard feelings and I thank
everyone (including RC) for taking the time to read the e-mails and
lending some words of wisdom.

Thank you

--
Alexander Sherwin