[MPlayer-users] Compiling for OS X results in garbled DVD sound

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Sep 3 12:40:04 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 09:40:19PM -0400, Alex Sherwin wrote:
> The first responder of this post asked if I've installed libdca, since
> an error associated with the audio output said this.  In an effort not
> to have my hand held, I took this to obviously mean that since the
> error reported libdca unavailable, and the first responder to my
> thread asking if libdca installed, that it was quite obvious the
> course of action was to install libdca and link it with the
> --with-extra options:

Don't forget to install the -dev package. If you have to specify any
special options it's a bug in MPlayer.

> > No. MPlayer uses dca.* which are in the below directory;
> > ../mplayer/libavcodec/
>
> Which is true, ./libavcodec contains various dca related files such
> as: dca_parser.c, dca.c and dca.h.
>
> As such, I was thoroughly confused as to how I could get my third
> party libdca to be used instead of this, which I now realize is
> probably futile and the wrong approach... However, this is the
> direction I was lead to believe initially, and as such the problem I
> was trying to fix/pursue.

Well, you were right. The dca decoder from libavcodec does not yet work
correctly in several cases, DVDs being one of those - essentially
because MPlayer does not use the code in dca_parser.c.

> > Almost certainly: none at all. Just don't specify any particular
> > configure options for that purpose. Where did you get the idea that you
> > needed to do anything special for that purpose in the first place?
>
> I've been playing with my configure options all last night and
> tonight, and I've finally come up with a set that seems to work for
> the trunk revision, which includes the --with-extra flags for various
> optional libs (png, jpeg, xvid, x264 etc), specifying the
> freetype-config and --disable-sse that produce a working mplayer
> executable AND successfully plays the sound from DVDs

That is very weird, and is not what is supposed to be necessary.
Instead of "wasting" your time, it is usually better to send us the
section of configure.log that tests for whatever you think MPlayer
configure should enable but does not.