[MPlayer-users] tips and tricks to play dvds

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 05:02:26 CEST 2009

Dear fellow mplayer users,

I have mplayer installed on several computers.  There are some movies which one has to try out and exhaust the numbers
$ mplayer dvd://x
where x is a number starting from 1 and forward.  The main movie might be like at 10 and I have to scan all the way to 10 find the main movie.  Is there a magical number that one can use so that mplayer finds the main movie and start playing it, without going through the previews one by one?

Does there exist such an option?
I know that one can use mplayer dvdnav:// and if the movie has a menu and one has compiled a newer version of mplayer via svn, we can see the menus, but clicking on it does no good.  This only works while using gnome-mplayer :), but when it is not available(did not install it on that particular machine), I fall back to command line mplayer and finding the main movie takes a while.  Is there a quick hack or do I have to try out one by one?

Thanks,

Antonio