[MPlayer-users] tips and tricks to play dvds

Jimmy Dansbo jimmy at dmbox.dk
Sat Apr 18 06:10:17 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> .....<snip>

>  Is there a magical number that one can use so that mplayer finds the main
> movie and start playing it, without going through the previews one by one?

You can use the -identify option to get information about your DVD.
mplayer -vo null -ao null -frames 0 -identify dvd:// -dvd-device
<yourdvddevice> 2>/dev/null | grep ID_
will give you some information about the DVD structure. Amongst this
information you should be able to see which title is the longet (usually the
main movie).

My scripting skills are not that good, but I'm sure that with a little
grep'ing, sed'ing and awk'ing you should be able to create a script that
just starts mplayer with the title that lasts the longest.

> ..... <snip>
> Thanks,
>
> Antonio

Regards