[MPlayer-users] How to force a special color space converter during encoding

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 03:27:39 CEST 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:15:23 +0200
Daniel Lobo <dnlobo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you check that your video looks like input.frame1.tif and not
> like my output.frame1.tif?

It seems that using -vo xv (as I am here) both appear identically
desaturated.  Since xv uses yv12, that pretty well means the entire
source of your problem is the sub-sampled chroma.

You could force the same kind of subsampling with other vo methods by
adding -vf scale,format=yv12,scale to your options.  I don't believe
there's any way around this with standard lossy video codecs.

There is a 4:2:2 variation of MPEG-2 which has twice the chroma...
There's also DV which uses 4:1:1 which might look better... or not.  Or
for lossy codecs, Huffyuv will probably work for you.  H.264 has a
"High" 4:4:4 profile (as does MPEG-2 actually), which would give you
what you want, but unlike the rest, I have no idea if MPlayer will even
play it, let alone other commonly available decoders.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!