[MPlayer-users] Translucent OSD and subtitles with -vo xv

Narf narf at mundo-r.com
Sun Aug 2 19:42:02 CEST 2009

2009/8/2 Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org>:
> Le quintidi 15 thermidor, an CCXVII, Narf a écrit :
>> When I select -vo xv (to get accelerated video) the OSD and .srt
>> subtitles are blurry and translucent. It looks like crap, and the
>> subtitles are harder to read. With -vo x11 everything looks as it
>> should: crisp, opaque, very easy to read subtitles. The command line
>> options for OSD don't change this behavior.
>
> With XVideo, OSD elements are rendered on the video as it is sent to the X11
> server and then to the video card, which means: at the resolution of the
> video (and not of the screen) and in the video colorspace.

Ok, now I get it. So the problem with blurry letters was a limitation
inherent to xv, and not an mplayer thing.

> Furthermore, if the colorspace is YUV-something, as an optimization, mplayer
> only renders the OSD on the Y channel, leaving the chrominance unchanged.
> Very saturated colors will then still be visible.
>
> One solution to the first point is to use ASS rendering of subtitles: add
> the -ass option. And as the default ASS styles are horrible, you need to
> provide a reasonable default style in an ASS file with the -ass-styles
> option.
>
> For the first point, if the video is light enough and the CPU strong enough,
> you can let mplayer do software scaling, with, for example:
> -vf-add dsize=1920:1200:0,scale=0:0
> (you need to adapt to your screen).

I've tried with -vo xv -vf-add dsize=1680:1050:0,scale=0:0 -ass and it
works, indeed: opaque fonts and good resolution. The problem is that
the cpu usage when using the software scaler with -vo xv is the same
as with -vo x11, so I might as well use x11 and leave xv for HD (the
fonts look good with xv when the content is HD).

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I'll wait until the open source
radeon driver supports -vo gl at a decent speed in r6xx video cards,
then.

Regards,
Narf