[MPlayer-users] Translucent OSD and subtitles with -vo xv

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Aug 2 19:47:18 CEST 2009

Le quintidi 15 thermidor, an CCXVII, Narf a écrit :
> Ok, now I get it. So the problem with blurry letters was a limitation
> inherent to xv, and not an mplayer thing.

Yes.

> I've tried with -vo xv -vf-add dsize=1680:1050:0,scale=0:0 -ass and it
> works, indeed: opaque fonts and good resolution. The problem is that
> the cpu usage when using the software scaler with -vo xv is the same
> as with -vo x11, so I might as well use x11 and leave xv for HD (the
> fonts look good with xv when the content is HD).

The CPU usage should be a little bit lower than with -vo x11, since the
colorspace conversion is left to the video card. But that is not much
compared to the scaling itself.

Furthermore, XVideo ensures that frames changes are in sync with the screen
refresh, thus avoiding tearing: for that reason, I would advise you tu use
XVideo if you can.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George