[MPlayer-users] wrong playback speed when audio is not sampled at 48khz

Rob tempest766 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 07:53:51 CEST 2009

I've been aware of this problem for some time (over six months) but just now had the time to test it out.

I have two sound cards in my machine:

options snd cards_limit=8
options snd-mpu401 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
options snd-ice1724 index=2 enable=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-mpu401
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-2 snd-ice1724

The primary card (Intel) plays content properly at all supported sampling rates.  However, the ICE card speeds up or slows down the audio and video proportionately to the expected 48khz sampling rate.  A video with 48khz sound is correct, but one at say 22khz is doubled in speed.

I believe this to be a problem in mplayer because when I use ffplay all video and audio plays at the correct speed.

The effects are seen regardless of whether I use alsa or oss sound drivers.

My ffmpeg distro is
FFmpeg version SVN-r19590

and mplayer is
MPlayer SVN-r29461-4.3.2

This is a recent svn release so I'm betting no one has fixed it in the interrum.

I'd much appreciate it if someone familiar with the code can identify and fix.

thanks,
Rob