[MPlayer-users] wrong playback speed when audio is not sampled at 48khz

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Aug 20 08:18:13 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:53:51PM -0700, Rob wrote:
> The primary card (Intel) plays content properly at all supported sampling rates.  However, the ICE card speeds up or slows down the audio and video proportionately to the expected 48khz sampling rate.  A video with 48khz sound is correct, but one at say 22khz is doubled in speed.
>
> I believe this to be a problem in mplayer because when I use ffplay all video and audio plays at the correct speed.

No, this almost certaily is a problem in ALSA, it always has been for about the
1000 times this bug has appeared and reappeared again.
I suspect you might be using MPlayer's default OSS output, that one the ALSA
devs seem to like breaking most.
Try all of -ao oss, -ao alsa and -ao sdl. The last one is basically what
ffplay uses.

> The effects are seen regardless of whether I use alsa or oss sound drivers.

Ok, I admit ALSA and OSS being affected is unusual...
Or just add -srate 48000