[MPlayer-users] black-white gradient on DVD playback

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 5 20:12:31 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 04:08:20PM +0000, Damon wrote:
> No, the problem is as follows. The DVD contains several tracks, out if which
> only the first makes problems. If I play the first one, it would say
>
> [mpeg2video @ 0x879d200]ac-tex damaged at 16 9
> [mpeg2video @ 0x879d200]Warning MVs not available
> [mpeg2video @ 0x879d200]concealing 945 DC, 945 AC, 945 MV errors

Video stream is broken. Try dvdnav://, the DVD might be intentionally or accidentally broken.

> Besides that, I was able to play the DVD earlier on the
> same machine with mplayer.

Then the most promising approach is to find out when exactly it broke.

> As usual, then mplayer
> complains that the output (video driver) does not accept the DVD colorspace,
> and tries to load the 'scale' video filter (why?).

Because you are using an OpenGL output without telling it to support it, e.g.
by using -vo gl:yuv=2 or -vo gl2:yuv=2
Either way, using gl2 is strongly discouraged, if you are using gl2 because you can
not use gl for some reason better report a bug.

> The interesting part is that I had to use gl2 as video output since the standard
> one would crash (not only mplayer, but the entire machine simply stops!). Could
> gl2 have a problem? And if so, why with the first track only?

It has nothing to do with that, but gl probably works if you add
swapinterval=-1 to the options.
For what I can tell that is a bug NVidia added only recently to their drivers.