[MPlayer-users] black-white gradient on DVD playback

Damon smith_winston_6079 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 6 04:26:18 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 04:08:20PM +0000, Damon wrote:
> > No, the problem is as follows. The DVD contains several tracks, out if which
> > only the first makes problems. If I play the first one, it would say
> >
> > [mpeg2video @ 0x879d200]ac-tex damaged at 16 9
> > [mpeg2video @ 0x879d200]Warning MVs not available
> > [mpeg2video @ 0x879d200]concealing 945 DC, 945 AC, 945 MV errors
>
> Video stream is broken. Try dvdnav://, the DVD might be intentionally or
accidentally broken.

Hi,

thank you very much for your help.

I tried that, but when I select the broken chapter, the problem persists.
It does not matter whether I play the stream directly via dvd://1 or
via dvdnav://

> > Besides that, I was able to play the DVD earlier on the
> > same machine with mplayer.
>
> Then the most promising approach is to find out when exactly it broke.

I build mplayer from source around a week ago, and then I played the
DVD yesterday, which worked. But I forgot to compile mplayer with --enable-gui,
so I pulled the sources again yesterday afternoon, and that's when the problem
occurred.

> > As usual, then mplayer
> > complains that the output (video driver) does not accept the DVD colorspace,
> > and tries to load the 'scale' video filter (why?).
>
> Because you are using an OpenGL output without telling it to support it, e.g.
> by using -vo gl:yuv=2 or -vo gl2:yuv=2

Ok, I will try this.

> Either way, using gl2 is strongly discouraged, if you are using gl2 because
> you can
> not use gl for some reason better report a bug.
>
> > The interesting part is that I had to use gl2 as video output since the
> > standard
> > one would crash (not only mplayer, but the entire machine simply stops!).
> > Could
> > gl2 have a problem? And if so, why with the first track only?
>
> It has nothing to do with that, but gl probably works if you add
> swapinterval=-1 to the options.

I'll try that as well and see.

> For what I can tell that is a bug NVidia added only recently to their drivers.

That's what I thought initially.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I appreciate that.

Cheers,
Damon