[MPlayer-users] mplayer-va-api with ati/xvba: still no-go?

hoolabaloo !!! hoolabaloooo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 11:36:40 CET 2009

hi everyone,

i've lost track of things about the subject, can you help me understanding
what's the current situation?

seems to me that xvba or whatever is now called (the ati
proprietary-catalist-driver enabled hw decoding api) still is not useable
and therefore even the va-api branch of mplayer are unable to tap into the
video card video processing resources.

is it true still? what do you think may happen in the near future?

the question comes from the fact i'm planning to build a new htpc system or
buy one, and lots of new "smallish" systems employ amd video hardware
instead of nvidias; the "problem" is that i want to stick with linux+mplayer
instead, but still be able to hw-decode hd videos ....

thank you in advance