[MPlayer-users] mplayer-va-api with ati/xvba: still no-go?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Dec 12 12:19:19 CET 2009

hoolabaloo !!! <hoolabaloooo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> i've lost track of things about the subject, can you help me understanding
> what's the current situation?

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14340
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19983
Note especially the comment from an AMD employee who explains that XvBA was
never released, that no SDK is available (for you and me) and that XvBA's goal
is not adoption by open source players (pages 23 and 24).

If somebody wants to help, reverse-engineer the API out of xvba-video, but note
that it obviously changes with each (or at least some) driver release.

[...]

> the question comes from the fact i'm planning to build a new htpc system or
> buy one, and lots of new "smallish" systems employ amd video hardware
> instead of nvidias; the "problem" is that i want to stick with linux+mplayer
> instead, but still be able to hw-decode hd videos ....

Since my opinion would be seen as biased by some, I suggest you read Kano's (the
Debian developer who supports XvBA) comment on page 42 of above forum thread.

Carl Eugen