[MPlayer-users] A-V sync with mencoder/mplayer

Miroslav Rovis m.rovis at inet.hr
Sat Dec 12 11:45:13 CET 2009

On 12/12/09 09:53, mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:
> I think your way works - at least it's the best that I have gotten so far.

Really glad for sharing good things with good people. God bless the
Hungarian and all their associates who keep this great MPlayer/mencoder
program so useful and do free... I would donate if I weren't  nearly
bancrupt with my poor man meagre investment, no room here to discuss
that though...
> First, I do believe what Daniel said about the VHS/VCR variable rates. But
> VLC didn't resolve anything, other than to confirm that it was the tape (and
> VCR) that was causing the problem. Running VLC, either directly from the
> capture card, or from a captured video,  VLC kept spitting out errors like:
> "audio starved", "video arrived late".

So, mencoder is the way to go...
> Couple of questions, though:
>
> Should I ignore the "1 duplicate frame(s) !", and "Skipped 1 frame"
>
> For the -tv options, I used "immediatemode=0" ... MJPEG compression, coming out at
> 704x480 ... should work using other a/v-codecs. Right?

I wish I could address these queries, but neither do I have sufficient
expertise, nor time.
Besides, Reimar has answered some of them.
But take a look at the longer discussion, previous to the link I gave in
my last post:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2009-November/thread.html
You can just search by subject:
composite input a/v sync issue
In fact, to try to answer your questions, I would need to hark back to
what Reimar and other said to me in those posts (I don't bear notions
and others better than computer data in the mailing lists)...
What I can do is, I'll take a look at the last encoding commands and
options, as I have them somewhere, and they give somewhat better results
than what I have already written on the list and post them back.
They result from my further VHS-to-files work that I did after I found
the "-forceidx hack" on VHS being captured encoding...
> ... mencoder options (or any other app) to clean up some of the VHS noise? Like
> I said, these are old recordings, mostly made by recording from another
> recording (VCR to VCR).

Wish there were!
> Anyway, for now, this method seems to work, so I'll keep with it.
>
> Thank you VERY much.

You're appreciated.
I'll be back to post what I promised above, God willing.