[MPlayer-users] mplayer-va-api with ati/xvba: still no-go?

hoolabaloo !!! hoolabaloooo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:18:12 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at vm10124.spb.edu
> wrote:

> Hi Carl Eugen Hoyos!
>
>  On 2009.12.12 at 11:19:19 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote next:
>
> > http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14340
> > http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19983
> > Note especially the comment from an AMD employee who explains that XvBA
> was
> > never released, that no SDK is available (for you and me) and that XvBA's
> goal
> > is not adoption by open source players (pages 23 and 24).
>

> I don't think original poster is concerned about xvba or amount of
> bridges between fglrx and mplayer, if HW acceleration is possible this
> way, why not?

you're both correct, my interest is mainly having the hw accel available,
therefore i could be content with the multiple bridges solution and/or a
standard api (that's what we could expect to be "the most convenient way"
for every hw accel solution in a short time, if va-api is enough well
written)

but on the other hand... the problem is betting money on a hardware that i
plan to buy almost exactly to be able to play videos, the idea of finding
out that my working system got screwed up because of _undocumented_ api
changes - and the api is not thought to be used even by open source
developers - _is_ a little scary.

i'll think about it, but i think i'm going to choose a nvidia platform if
things don't improve steadily.

thank you both for the very insightful explaination :)