[MPlayer-users] Request for Bloom effect in Video Output

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 19 11:35:50 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 01:12:53PM +0300, Каримов Родион wrote:
> Is there any chance that realtime effect Bloom - like in modern computer games, that is often used with HDR - will be realized in MPlayer. It is relatively simple to implement it in GL and DirectX output. And it is not loading CPU - Bloom fully works on videocard.

First, without HDR input data you won't get a bloom effect but some silly
"oh-it's-shiny-effect" that has little to do with it.
Also bloom algorithms usually require multi-pass rendering which MPlayer does
not support and actually is a huge pain to implement in a way that is portable
and fast enough.
However if you think you can implement it as a single pass, have a look at e.g.
TOOLS/emboss.fp for an example on how to write your own shaders and use them
with -vo gl.

> Only film that has this effect in itself - it is, as far as I remember, Crimson Rivers 2 Angels of Apocalypse - all other films are going without it. So it will be interesting to look how they will look like with this effect.

Since most films are still filmed with a real-world camera, they all necessary
and unavoidably due to using a real lens have a bloom effect, and a 100%
realistic one at that..
As such I think you have rather badly explained what you really want...