[MPlayer-users] a kernel compile

Nick Koretsky nikita at public.ua.net
Fri Jan 9 21:59:55 CET 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:59:50 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> PO <x75 <at> shaw.ca> writes:
>
> > Any suggestions for a kernel build to help mplayer do it's thing?
>
> I doubt that you need a kernel update.
>
> > using slack 12.2 on an AMD Phenom 9950 with an ATI RV635 PCI-E vid card
> > and 4 gigs ram.
>
> Neither the higher amount of ram nor the graphic card should have a
> measurable effect on mplayer playback (assuming both graphic cards can
> use xv or similar).

Most probably graphic card IS his problem. Newer radeons dosnt
have classic overlay, only 3d-engine variants. And getting 3d to work properly on
RV6xx is no small task.

> > So far, it's been a step down from my old 1.2GHz Semperon chip with 512
> > Mb ram and an old 4x AGP vid card.
>
> Please define "step down".
> Does -vo xv work for you (I assume you used it in your previous
> configuration)? Are you sure that one of the Phenom cores is faster than
> the Sempron? (I did not check.) MPlayer often can not take advantage of
> multiple cores.

For ati it should be "does -vo gl/gl2 work for you?" If not, play with Xorg,
drivers, mesa etc until it works. And, generally, stay away from ati if you
are using linux....

--
  Nick Koretsky (nikita at public.ua.net)