[MPlayer-users] Disabling subtitles when encoding

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Tue Jan 13 12:06:52 CET 2009

Le quartidi 24 nivôse, an CCXVII, Igor Katson a écrit :
> I am trying to reencode an mkv with embedded subtitles using mencoder.
> But there is a problem: the subtitles are burned into the video when
> using default options (so I can't disable it), and I haven't found the
> correct option to turn that feature of neither in the man page of
> mencoder, nor in Google.
>
> How can I disable that? I have used a workaround of setting subtitle
> delay to a number, much bigger then the length of the video, but I don't
> like that.

That is a neat trick. I can suggest one slightly cleaner: -sid 42, after
ensuring that there is no subtitle track #42.

I do not think there is an option to really disable subtitles, I wish there
were. Some time ago, subtitles from matroska files were not enabled by
default. The option was not added when this behaviour was changed.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George