[MPlayer-users] Converting black and white images to false colors

Emmanuel Mayssat emmanuel_mayssat at lynceantech.com
Mon Jul 13 20:49:50 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am using mplayer with a rtsp stream (Axis server a243q)
My cameras/video streams are black and white.

What I am interested in is the pixel intensity.
(darker = lower intensity, whiter = high intensity)
but the shading of grey are difficult to perceive on a display by
operators. A technique we commonly use is color filtering or false
colors.

Let me illustrate.
I am interested in using the color gamut instead of a shading of grey.
If I have 8 bits pixel depth, I want
Black  mapped to back
Blue (shade of blue) mapped to bit depth range 10-45
Green ...
Yellow mapped to depth range 90-130
Red.... range 225 to 255

I don't care so much about the range of the color shading.
I just care about having false colors

How can I do that?
Do I have to write my own filter?
If so any clues on how to do that? (sample program?)
... and of course have it work very be fast?

I went through the man page looked at "equation" (eq2)
Is this what I need? It is reported as being slow, but how slow?
How do I build a lookup table?

Regards,
--
Emmanuel Mayssat