[MPlayer-users] How to run RealPlayer files in Linux

Charles Philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 19 12:05:19 CEST 2009

Reyada Wolak <reyada.wolak at gmail.com> writes:

> i got it ready from "install & remove software" in Mandriva 2009
> version: 1.0-1.rc2.23.r28791.2mdv2009.1
> it is pretty new build (3 march 2009)
> i don't have that experience to install it from src with all dependences but
> i will give it a try.

Post again if you have problems compiling.

> There is a note in the details of the package:
> "Note: If you want to play Real content, you need to have the content of
> RealPlayer's Codecs directory in /usr/lib/RealPlayer10GOLD/codecs"

B.S. I don't even have Realplayer installed. You can try replacing your
win32 codecs with these here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20071007.tar.bz2

to see if it works. However, Mandriva might have changed some code, have
you tried installing Realplayer Gold as the note suggest?

> another issue i'm facing in mandriva but not related to mplayer itself
> which is an issue with pulseaudio:

Sorry, I don't have pulseaudio (IMHO, it is the biggest pile of crap)
installed. You will have to wait for some one who uses pulse. Have your
tried "-ao alsa" and "-ao oss"?

Charles

--
"I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly."