[MPlayer-users] "cast-tv" video clips

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Sat Jul 25 12:00:32 CEST 2009

I am using MPlayer v1.0rc2-r29116-2 and the Mozilla plugin v3.55-0.pm.1,
under openSuSE v11.1.

The website of the Jerusalem Post newspaper <wwwpost.com> includes topical
video clips daily. (These are on the home page, near the top, toward the
left side.) When I click on them, MPlayer opens, and shows me a brief
advertisement, which then repeats  ad infinitum (or alternatively,
MPlayer stops). I never get to see the clip.

The source of the clips is a company called Cast-TV. Some time ago I wrote
to them asking for advice, and got the curt reply "We don't support
Linux". My remark that the Internet is intended to be agnostic with
regard to operating systems fell on deaf virtual ears.

The website of the company <www.cast-tv.com> claims that it supports the
following: IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari Windows Media Player; I am using
Firefox v3.0.11, but I had the same problem with much earlier versions as
well. Given that I seem to be equipped according to the advertised
prerequisites, I feel I should be able to view the clips.

If there is a way for me to do so, perhaps by installing an auxilliary
software, I would like to do so. Failing that, I would like to know some
detail about what it is that is preventing me from doing so, so that I
can mount a campaign to get it to change.