[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Inverse Telecine while changing frame rate

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Sat Jun 20 01:50:02 CEST 2009

Ergzay wrote:
> There is something I have been wanting to be able to do for a long time
> but I have not been able to. It is extremely frustrating as every
> combination of options I have tried seems to be buggy. I simply want to
> be able to inverse-telecine video files on the fly while playing them.
> While this is possible with all of the inverse telecine filters none of
> them do it properly. The framerate is not changed and you end up with
> duplicated frames which leaves a VERY jerky video, especially on any
> scenes with panning. I have been looking for ages looking through tons
> of options in the mplayer man file and in the documentation and nothing
> I find says I can do this. If this feature is not supported I highly
> suggest it be added as at this point the only way to get properly
> inverse telecined video is to re-encode it with mplayer and manually
> change the framerate. Mplayer will never be a good player for playing
> dvds until this is added.

I've noticed the same thing.. In those cases where I want to use
mplayer, I use mencoder, but play the file as it's being encoded.

Though now that I've finally figured out how to properly get
inverse-telecine to work smoothly with xine/gxine, I think that's
probably the path of least resistance for most dvd playing.