[MPlayer-users] mencoder: creates unusual AVI?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jun 25 09:36:06 CEST 2009

Thomas Ruedas <ruedas <at> dtm.ciw.edu> writes:

> > I don't know quicktime well, but I am not surprised it does not play mpeg4 in
> > avi (it probably expects mov/mp4 container).
>
> Turns out that rc2 doesn't seem to support mp4 at all, and the MPEG2 to
> which it switches by default gives a horrible quality.

I never tested it myself, but I remember having read that MPEG2's quality
matches the quality of any other codec (at a possibly higher bit-rate).

> > Either compile latest svn or try ffmpeg - rc2 is definitely unsupported.
>
> I'll probably have to make another effort at compiling ffmpeg, the
> download from Darwinports is broken (problem with x264).

--disable-x264 --disable-x264-lavc ?
(Which of course disables the encoder giving you the best quality for a given
bit-rate.)

Please try to leave an empty line between original message and new commnets,
Carl Eugen