[MPlayer-users] mencoder: creates unusual AVI?

Thomas Ruedas ruedas at dtm.ciw.edu
Fri Jun 26 06:30:05 CEST 2009

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>> Either compile latest svn or try ffmpeg - rc2 is definitely unsupported.
 >>
>> I'll probably have to make another effort at compiling ffmpeg, the
>> download from Darwinports is broken (problem with x264).
>
> --disable-x264 --disable-x264-lavc ?
> (Which of course disables the encoder giving you the best quality for a given
> bit-rate.)

The quality has to be as high as possible, so I went for ffmpegX and
gave that a try. Conversion of my avi still didn't produce anything
useful, but with the ffmpeg binary from ffmpegX I could finally produce
a good mp4 movie directly from the original jpegs.
So, thanks for pointing me to this possibility.
Best,
Thomas