[MPlayer-users] choosing which sound card with sdl

chris cringle confused.of.dc at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:40:30 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM, The Wanderer
<inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> chris cringle wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:21 PM, chris cringle
>> <confused.of.dc at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi After a lot of testing I've finally got video and audio working
>>> together by using the sdl audio driver. With this driver, how can I
>>> specify which sound card to use? When I have my voip headset
>>> plugged in that is used rather than my normal sound card.
>>>
>>> I've checked the preferences and the only options I have are
>>> "default".
>>
>> Does the lack of responses mean that no one knows how to specify a
>> different card or that the answer is so obvious that it doesn't
>> deserve a reply?
>
> Given that SDL isn't hardware-specific, but is effectively a wrapper
> over whatever your system provides, I wouldn't be in the least surprised
> if it weren't possible to tell it what hardware to use.
>
> Your system-wide SDL preferences may offer more options, but that won't
> necessarily help your case.

I'm new to SDL as I usually just use alsa. Where are these settings? I
can't find any sdl related files in /etc.

> All I can suggest is, look at the man page; if it doesn't explain how to
> do it, then there's fairly good odds that it can't be done. (Though in
> some cases that just means that no one's implemented it yet.)

There is no mention of it in the mplayer man page. I'm not sure why I
have to use sdl, if all it does is wrap over the other device types
why when I use them directly does my video die?

Chris