[MPlayer-users] mplayer playlist - different codecs options for different entries?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 22:48:45 CET 2009

Alexandru Nedelcu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When creating a playlist for mplayer I'd like to have some common
> command-line options (like -fixed-vo) and some options specific to
> individual entries in the playlist. I wouldn't mind passing the
> filenames from the command line, as long as it supports different
> options for different files, but I don't know how to do that.

MPlayer supports per-file configuration files, loaded automatically
based on filename; this sounds like what you're after. Read the
"CONFIGURATION FILES" section of the man page. (Note that this is not
playlist-specific.)

When specifying multiple input files on a single command line, you can
have any option apply to one file but not to the others by putting that
option after the name of that file but before the name of any other
file; for instance,

mplayer file1.avi file2.avi -fs file3.avi

will play file2.avi fullscreen but the other two files windowed. Only
options which appear before the first filename will be applied to all of
the files, and even those can be overridden by later options.

As I understand things, the priority for various options is:

built-in default

overridden by system-wide config file

overridden by user-specific config file

overridden by file-specific config file

overridden by command-line options which come before any filename

overridden by command-line options which come after the name of the
specific file being played

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.