[MPlayer-users] SEEK Bug report

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Tue May 19 13:18:56 CEST 2009

> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 12:25:54 Alexander Roalter wrote:
>

>> It is not possible seeking to an exact position if at this position
>> isn't a keyframe. Seeking can only be performed to a keyframe, a
>> different approach would be -- and this would have to be
>> implemented and is not done by inserting one line or two -- to seek
>> to the nearest previous keyframe and decode all frames until the
>> desired position is found.
>>
>> If you use DVDs, there are much more frequent keyframes (IIRC one
>> every 2 or 3 seconds,
>
> almost always 2 per second.
>
>> but I might be mistaken on that), while on
>> divx and other codecs keyframes can occur every 10 seconds or even
>> less, which means you only can seek with a very low precision.
>>
>> If you need exact positioning on a per second basis, you'd have to
>> reencode the video with keyframes every second. This of course
>> requires more bandwidth, as keyframes take up much more frames than
>> the frames in between.
>

> or post a patch

That's a good idea :-)

Until this patch exists, I would use slave mode. Jump to a position well
before the desired point, play a bit to get the point where I landed from
stdout's status line and keep playing until the exact position is reached.
Or one could compute the number of frames to the desired position, and
issue that amount of "frame_step" commands.

Greets,
Kiste