[MPlayer-users] (no subject)

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed May 20 23:04:37 CEST 2009

On 05/20/2009 11:18 AM, Andrew wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Phil Rhodes
> <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> The mplayer-users list usually requires that you use the latest
>>> svn MPlayer.
>>
>> I hate this attitude.
>>
>> It is extremely difficult for anyone who isn't a software engineer
>> to "use latest SVN". The link to ubuntuforums.org gives a long,
>> highly complex sequence of instructions which, and let's not
>> bullshit, almost invariably require customisation in the vast
>> majority of circumstances.  Making these changes will be beyond
>> anyone who isn't intimately familiar with package management,
>> makefiles, GCC, and the C language itself, as well as the specifics
>> of all these things as they pertain to mplayer and its
>> installation.
>
> Phil you have the wrong end of the stick with my message.

Phil is also verging on trollish. He seems to be quite sincere in his
opinions, but they are so extreme and so far at odds with A: what seems
to me to be reasonable and B: reality as I observe it that I have to
either ignore him or get involved in what will inevitably become a
flamewar.

Fortunately he doesn't tend to speak up all that often, but when he does
it seems to mostly be simply to inject his already well-established
opinion into a discussion where it is not helpful.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.