[MPlayer-users] Question about capturing webcast radio stations

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 21:02:05 CEST 2009

Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote:
> JD pisze:
>> The are some online radio stations that webcast live.
>> The link on their page to listen to such webcast is a
>> "javascript:openStreamingPlayer();"
>>
>> In such instances, what is the trick to save
>> such a stream without resorting to using someting
>> like audacity which then records off of the microphone,
>> which has horrible quality, and is full of environmental
>> noise.
>
> can't you record from "mixer" or "DAC" device ( on my system with ALSA
> "DAC" device is offering this capabilities for me - since
> "record-My-desktop" is doing it then it should be done with other
> programs )?
>
> What player you use to play such stream in browser - is it Kevin's
> DeKorte "GECKO Mediaplayer"? If it is then you could check stream url
> in it and paste it to MPlayer/MEncoder tandem.

Not sure how to use the DAC - my alsamixer does not show any "DAC" control.
Also, I have no idea what player the broweser is invoking via the
"javascript:openStreamingPlayer();"
All I can tell you is it pops another window with some minimal
volume control, play and pause and stop.
The browser is Firefox.
Also, since the stream is controlled by a javascript, you cannot
paste it's URL into a player. I have not found a way to find the URL
of such javascript controlled streams. Perhaps that is intentional
and it is done to prevent the capture of such streams,
in which case it is probably copyrighted material.
Any opinions/info on such streams?