[MPlayer-users] Using mencoder and edl

Roberto Bechtlufft robertobech at gmail.com
Mon May 25 15:57:53 CEST 2009

Hi everybody, I'm new around here.

I'm not exactly a video pro, but I've read a bit about mplayer and
mencoder and I'm slowly learning about what it can do.

I've tried to cut sections of video files before using avidemux, but I
always ended up with audio sync problems. Now I'm using mencoder and it
works quite well to this regard. I was using -ss and -endpos to do this,
but I've just now discovered the -edlout feature, which is quite
interesting to me, as I can now press "i" to mark the beginning and the
end of a segment that interests me. However, seems like people use edl
to take parts of a video out of the main video for good, and I want to
do the opposite: to mark a section of the video and keep it, discarding
all the rest. Is there any way I can do it?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Bechtlufft