[MPlayer-users] Using mencoder and edl

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon May 25 16:38:49 CEST 2009

Roberto Bechtlufft wrote:

>  However, seems like people use edl
> to take parts of a video out of the main video for good, and I want to
> do the opposite: to mark a section of the video and keep it, discarding
> all the rest. Is there any way I can do it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Roberto Bechtlufft

Basically, you need to construct the edl file manually. Even if you
press 'i', you will need to edit the edl file to make it be the
'inverse' of what was created.

Let us say that you have a 30-minute episode of a tv show. You want to
get rid of the opening song (1.5 minutes)  and the closing song (1.5
minutes.)
Write an edl entry to skip the first 1.5 minutes, i.e.:
0   90     0

and another to skip from 28:30 to the end
1710  10000 0

I normally use 10,000 to represent infinity (a timestamp that is larger
than the movie) when I want to skip to the end, because I am lazy.
What I really want is to tell mencoder to stop processing at 28:30.
Maybe that could be done with -endpos. I don't know if -ss and -endpos
would confict with -hr-edl-seek. I have not tried it. As I said, I'm
lazy.