[MPlayer-users] how to "step backforward" ?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Wed May 27 14:20:57 CEST 2009

> (consider 720p, it costs 1.3MBytes for frame, 300 frames are huge bulk
> of memory)

You don't have to store them all, especially if you implement a strategy to
start decoding frames you don't have once you start stepping back near the
beginning of the ones you do. And anyway, 300MB of RAM is not entirely
unreasonable. I presume the amount it used would be configurable.

I wonder how Quicktime does it. Possibly it avoids the issue simply by not
supporting very long GOPs.