[MPlayer-users] DVDNAV problem: subtitles

Dâniel Fraga fragabr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 05:59:34 CET 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:08:43 +0100
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> Just to clarify what is "normal" and what isn't:
> duplicate entries can happen e.g. because the DVD contains different
> subtitles for e.g. 4:3 vs. 16:9 or such.
> "holes" in the numbering where MPlayer says "unknown" and/or there
> are no subtitles are "normal" for now, too.
> However that it shows "unknown" for Portuguese and that _S for the
> others is unusual and I think a bug (not just a missing "feature"),
> however I have not been able to reproduce it, not even with the
> "Lord of the Rings" extended edition that had lots of subtitle
> issues in the past.
> I admit I did not test all DVDs I have though.
> Anyway, I applied the patch in this thread, it seems to fix more cases
> than it breaks, and -sid and -slang now generally work for me.
> Oh, btw, how does -slang work for that DVD?

	Ok, I updated the SVN and I noticed the following:

1) selecting the subtitle in the initial setup menu doesn't change
anything... it's as if nothing was selected

2) but now (after your patches), there's a thing that was corrected:
after selecting the subtitle with "j" or the remote control, dvdnav
keeps the subtitle through all the movie (before it would "forget" the
selection when there's a change from one chapter to another). This is
because of the workaround on this thread

3) regarding the duplicates and unknown, I'm pretty sure it's wrong
because I compared it with dvd:// and Xine too... You bet there will
not be more than 20 subtitles for the main movie ;)

4) -slang still doesn't work for dvdnav:// although it always worked
for dvd://. But I'm happy that at least now, dvdnav:// will not
"forget" the subtitle selection when changing chapters.

	***

	Replying the other message here:

1) I attached both files: dvd.txt and dvdnav.txt (I tarbzip2 because of
the 80KB limit)

2) and yes, the issue exist both with dvdnav://n and dvdnav:// using
the menu

	The solution is to make dvdnav:// to be more like dvd:// :).

	****

	PS: and something that would be really usefull, although not
related to this issue, is to change the audio OSD to be more
descriptive. For example, today it will show:

Audio: (128) en
Audio: (129) pt
Audio: (130) en

	although it could show:

Audio: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128.
Audio: ac3 (5.1) language: pt aid: 129.
Audio: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 130.

	or at least some hint of the "stereo" or "5.1" audio... but if
it's too much work, no problem.

--
Linux 2.6.31: Man-Eating Seals of Antiquity