[MPlayer-users] composite input a/v sync issue

Miroslav Rovis m.rovis at inet.hr
Mon Nov 9 14:20:09 CET 2009

> [snip]
>
> That is a bit too much text, I am a bit confused as to where the issues
> are...

Sorry. I know I put in there extra info that wasn't necessary for
solving the problem. But when I think how much I sometimes searched for
examples, for the complete actual command lines that work, I thought
that to write the complete lines that nearly worked for me would make
some newbies somewhere relieved...
> So you now leave out the -fps, does that change anything with respect
> to the A-V sync issues?
No. No change. Delays just as previously I described.
> Without it in principle MPlayer should be able
> to handle it, even if not perfectly. I guess you'll have to remove
> -noskip -mc 0 though, possibly even use -mc 100.

Now this I will have to look deeper into. Trials will be following.
> You could also try FFmpeg, it has variable-framerate support and also
> supports capturing from v4l2.
> Also if you do not care much about size and have a slow PC, you should
> remove bitrate from lavcopts and instead add vqscale=2:mbd=0

I'll look into these as well (it's the biblical MPlayer man page and
associales of course, and then Dear God knows where I'll end up at)

>> mencoder -forceidx stream.avi -ovc copy -oac copy  -o stream_SEEKABLE.avi
>>

> You can just use mplayer -forceidx to play the file, or anything that
> uses libavformat (e.g. mplayer -demuxer lavf) and seeking should be
> possible and more reliable than with MPEG.

I just don't want to believe, and I have to, it' the burden of proofs
against me, that I couldn't figure it out myself. Regarding -forceidx.
And regarding mplayer -demuxer lavf I'll probably understand it with the
MPlayer fine online readings as well.
And I also intend to be useful to newbies and post more.. But only if I
do make it. This is a little overwhelming on me.
Thanks again to Oliver and Reimar.
I'll be back (if I make it... but it is likely that I will).