[MPlayer-users] DVDNAV problem: subtitles

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Nov 11 09:18:09 CET 2009

Dâniel Fraga wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:57:49 -0800
> RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, the main advantage of dvdnav is that it works around primitive copy
>> protection schemes, and pathologically mastered DVDs that won't work
>> any other way.
>
> 	These protection schemes I solve using DVDFab Free. I think
> it's better to use a software that really can read all kinds of DVD
> than to use a generic player like MPlayer and hope that it can manage
> copy protection.
>
> 	If you take a Disney DVD for instance, there're so many
> unplayable cells etc and all kinds of protection that I can't imagine
> using just MPlayer to read it.

That might be true, but I can't imagine that this could be a final
solution, having to run some program in between to make it work, as up
to this moment everything (and also Disney DVDs) I have been able to
play with dvdnav, especially because it doesn't reed the unplayble
sectors and cells. Only recently though because of some complex cell
navigation (I assume) playback has a problem with two of my newest DVDs,
and in this case I still doubt your solution would work miracles, as it
is the jumping around (apparently) that doesn not work correctly, and
this is clearly a mplayer problem.

--
cheers,
Alex