[MPlayer-users] mencoder doesn't work with -vf remove-logo ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Nov 15 17:01:31 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:36:24PM +0100, Peter Daum wrote:
> - I asked a fairly specific question: is the "remove-logo" filter for some
>   reason only usable when playing films or can it also be used for encoding?

If anyone knew any reason why it wouldn't work for encoding someone would have
said it, and really the documentation would most likely say so, too.

> - even a command line like "mplayer some.file" will generate a pretty
>   substantial amount of output, most of it always the same, some of it sounds
>   like error messages (but obviously not very serious, because they also show up
>   if everything works.

Which is why the error reporting documentation IMHO quite clearly says to copy _all_
of it, preferably also using -v to get even more of it.

> , mplayer's reaction to the whole command is to just emit lots of messages and abort

"Abort" among developers means very specifically the abort() function and results in a
signal 6, which I doubt is the case here.
Which is why you're (except maybe for the very first question asking if this sounds like
a known bug) not supposed to make your own guess, cut down MPlayer output or try to interpret
it. You'll only make it impossible for anyone to help you.

>   Instead I tried to clarify the problem and reduce it to a simple, reproducible case:
>   whoever wants to know can just enter
>   "mencoder -vf remove-logo=logo.pgm -ovc x264 -oac copy -o /dev/null infile"
>   (infile being some video file, logo.pgm a grayscale image of identical dimensions)
>   and see what happens.

That's a really good idea. However I personally was still too lazy to find a sample file
and create a suitable pgm file. Maybe I'll have the motivation somewhen to do it, but
if you want to help you could use one of the samples from samples.mplayerhq.hu, make
a suitable .pgm file for it and send it here.