[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS + H264 (again)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Nov 16 13:17:45 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:06:12AM +0100, Colin Rosenthal wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > You could really just try my suggestions (unless you want to learn about
> > video coding, then you should say so but this is not the best place for
> > it).
> > If you drop or duplicate encoded frames that messes up the whole frame
> > reordering code, so the frames will be displayed in the wrong order,
> > thus it jitters forwards and backwards (in addition to the displayed
> > frames usually being corrupted a bit).
> >
> I have tried your suggestion and it works fine for me. However it
> doesn't really represent a solution
> for all our users, many of whom will not be able to compile unfamiliar
> software or be comfortable with
> command-line options.

I am rather confused on what you are trying to say. I only pointed out
that you will almost always have to use -mc 0 -noskip with -ovc copy.
Someone who is using -ovc copy obviously is already using the
commandline.

> It would be nice if we could
> avoid heavy video transcoding and still be able to deliver a format
> playable in, for example, vlc in
> Windows. I will do some experimentation and probably come back with some
> more detailed questions
> later.

VLC should be able to play almost anything (it couldn't play the other
file without -mc 0 -noskip because that generated a broken file, nothing
could play that no matter the amount of custom patches or command-line
options).
I think it would make more sense to target Adobe Flash player, if it can
play it almost everything else can, too (excluding Windows Media Player,
except maybe the Windows 7 version).
You should not need to re-encode the video for that (except that I think
Flash doesn't support deinterlacing, so it will look a bit ugly), not sure
about the audio.